Fernando Teixeira dos Santos (n. Maia, 13 de setembro de 1951) é um professor de Economia Português. Foi Ministro das Finanças entre 2005 e 2011. É casado com Maria Clementina Pereira Nunes.
- PhD em Economia pela Universidade da Carolina do Sul, Estados Unidos, 1985.
Dissertação de doutoramento: "Three Essays on Portuguese Monetary Economics", 1985.
- Equivalência ao grau de Doutor em Economia, Universidade do Porto, 1986.
- Licenciatura em Economia pela Universidade do Porto, 1973.
Menções e Prémios
- "Grande Oficial da Ordem do Infante D. Henrique", Junho de 2005.
- "Distinguished Alumnus Award" concedido pela 'Darla Moore School of Business', Universidade da Carolina do Sul, Maio de 1998.
- "Annual Departmental Award for Outstanding Academic Performance by a Graduate Student" para o ano lectivo de 1983/84, concedida pelo De-partamento de Economia da Universidade da Carolina do Sul, Abril de 1984.
Funções governamentais exercidas
- Desde 2009-10-26 até 2011-06-21: Ministro das Finanças e de Estado do XVIII Governo Constitucional
- De 2009-07-02 até 2009-10-25: Ministro da Economia e da Inovação do XVII Governo Constitucional
- Desde 2005-07-21 até 2009-10-25: Ministro das Finanças e de Estado do XVII Governo Constitucional
- De 1995-10-30 até 1999-10-25: Secretário de Estado do Tesouro e Finanças do XIII Governo Constitucional
Fernando Teixeira dos Santos (born in Maia, September 13, 1951), is a Portuguese economist and professor. He was Minister of Finance in the Portuguese Government led by José Sócrates (XVII Governo Constitucional).
Teixeira dos Santos has a degree in Economics by the University of Porto (1973), and a PhD in Economics by the University of South Carolina (1985). He embraced an academic career as university professor in the Faculdade de Economia da Universidade do Porto (FEP) (Economics School of the University of Porto). He presided over the stock exchange authority of Portugal, the Comissão do Mercado de Valores Mobiliários (CMVM), until he received an invitation to enter the Portuguese government led by José Sócrates.
He had been also the Secretary of State in the socialist governments of Prime Minister António Guterres. After had been Minister of Finances in the José Sócrates' cabinet, in 2011 he returned to his duties at the University of Porto's FEP. He is married to Maria Clementina Pereira Nunes with whom he had two children.
In July 2005, Prime Minister José Sócrates made a request to President of the Republic Jorge Sampaio for the resignation of the Minister of the Finances, Luís Campos e Cunha, for reasons of a personal nature, family and fatigue, according to an official source. This same source also added that the Prime Minister, Jose Sócrates, "at the same time" proposed the nomination of Fernando Teixeira Dos Santos as minister of Finances to the President of the Republic, Jorge Sampaio. Minister of Finances Teixeira dos Santos was pivotal as the highest ranked officer of the country, involved in the management of all the issues related to the Portuguese sovereign debt crisis. As the months went on the Portuguese debt crisis got worse, a International Monetary Fund rescue plan was put in place, and the Sócrates' cabinet was dissolved.
The Socialists were ousted from the Portuguese Government after the Portuguese legislative election, 2011 and Teixeira dos Santos returned to his academic career at the University of Porto.
- Since 2009-10-26 to 2011-06-20:
Minister of Finance in the XVIII Governo Constitucional
- Since 2005-07-21 to 2009-10-25:
Minister of Finance in the XVII Governo Constitucional
- Since 2005-07-21 to 2009-10-25:
Minister of State in the XVII Governo Constitucional
- Since 1995-10-30 to 1999-10-25:
State Secretary of Treasury and Finance in the XIII Governo Constitucional